Friday, June 10, 2011

FedEx St Jude Classic - Memphis, TN

Man, it sounds like some of you missed me!! I woke up this morning to text messages, voice mails, and saw there were 61 hits on my blog in the past 24 hours. Wow, I guess I better start blogging. Fact is, I've been sick the last few days and the medicine I've been taking after the rounds leaves me with little energy and lots of sleep. But I woke up today feeling much better and I'm ready to get back out into the heat.

Our week got started with the US Open Qualifier on Monday. Kevin and I both left Saturday and met for a practice round on Sunday. Kevin hit the ball well on Monday but was not able to get anything rolling. We had three 3-putts through 27 holes and stood at even par. With the projected qualifying number close to 10 under and the heat index at 109, Kevin decided to conserve his energy for the rest of the week and withdrew from the qualifier.

With the temperature hovering around 100, we decided to play 9 hole practice rounds. After a nice practice session on Tuesday morning, we played nine holes with Jhonattan Vegas and Fabian Gomez. During our morning practice, Kevin picked up an Odyssey Two Ball Backstrike putter. After some practice and testing on the golf course, he has decided to keep it in the bag. On Wednesday, we teed off before the Pro-am at 6:15am for the back nine practice round with Andres Gonzales, William McGirt, and 2010 Rolex Junior of the Year Anthony Paolucci. With our early start, our day was done before lunch and we were able to get some much needed rest. Kevin's Dad flew in this evening and is here for the week.

As you all know, Kevin shot 66 and is tied for 2nd. I take zero credit since my "caddy rating" from my boss yesterday was a C+. (don't tell Kevin...I'll take a C+ and 66 everyday) Today was Brittany's Birthday, so Kevin was disappointed he could not give her his first PGA Tour lead for her Birthday. Sorry Brittany, caddy's fault. Kevin's hard work he has put in with his instructor, Rickey Sullivan, is shining through. He is starting to trust it more everyday. Our motto this week "See it, Feel it, Trust it".  His short game was great and he even holed out a flop shot after his C+ caddy put him in a place that his boss called "dead...no chance". It is amazing how a little short game talent can get you out of some pretty tough spots.

We tee off today at 1:30. I'm just trying to improve each day and hope I can get up to a B+ by the end of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment