Sunday, January 18, 2015

Sony Open - Round Three

Well....DAMN. How could something that felt so right go so wrong? We had a perfect day for golf but for whatever reason, we just didn't have it today. Kevin told me early on that things didn't feel right and sure enough, we struggled right out of the gate. Starting on the tenth, we missed the first five greens and could only manage to get one of those up and down for par. Not only was he struggling with the ball striking but Kevin also had trouble dialing in the speed on the greens. He left a lot of putts short but on the right line. The greens this week were much slower and grainy, so Kevin had a hard time getting the ball to the hole...especially into the grain.

After the rough five hole start, Kevin started hitting his irons better and kept giving himself good looks at birdie. He maintained a good attitude and fought hard trying to get back into it but the putter wouldn't let that happen. With over 78 players (85 total) making the cut this week, the secondary Saturday cut was in play. We needed to be two under (-2) after today's round to survive the secondary cut so our two over (+2) total leaves us out of the mix for tomorrow. It was a big disappointment but considering our track record here, we'll take a lot of positives away from this week. There were too many good things that happened to let today's round bring us down.

After the round, Kevin packed up his stuff out of his locker and we headed back to the hotel. We were both scheduled on red eyes Sunday night but Kevin will try to catch an earlier flight to Palm Springs tomorrow morning. Brittany and Kate are already in Palm Springs so he told me "I'm ready to get off this rock". I've looked into changing my flight but since I'm flying to Phoenix, renting a car, and driving over to Palm Springs; it was just too much of an added expense to make all the necessary changes. Looks like I'll be staying here until my original flight tomorrow at 11:15pm and will be arriving into Palm Springs around lunch time on Monday. At least I'll be able to watch the football tomorrow. Gotta root for my boy Alex's team...Go Green Bay!!!


1 comment:

  1. I do read and enjoy your blog so much. You do a great job and my husband and I really appreciate your updates. Good luck in Palm Springs and thanks again. Hi to Kevin and clan there.

    ReplyDelete