Thursday, March 22, 2012

Louisiana Open (Nationwide Tour with Richard Scott) - First Round

I was excited to get a phone call from Richard Monday night asking if I wanted to come to Lafayette, LA to caddy. Richard was Kevin's roommate in college and I was fortunate enough to work for him at the first stage of the PGA Tour Qualifying school last fall. Richard (aka Trick) earned conditional status on the Nationwide Tour through last years Qualifying School. Not in the field this week, Trick came to Louisiana after Kevin and Brittany's wedding to Monday qualify. He shot 5 under par and qualified.

On Monday night, I told Trick there was no possible way I could get to Lafayette on Tuesday. I had to take care of a few things at home before I could leave. I ended up leaving at 3am Wednesday morning and drove 13 hours to Lafayette, arriving here 3pm local time. With heavy rain and thunderstorms all day, the golf course was closed for most of the day. Trick was only able to get about an hour of practice time in all day, so I actually didn't miss anything. I was sleeping by 8:15 after a full day of travel.

We teed off today at 2:10. The weather was perfect and the wind was calm. Trick struggled with the driver and finding the speed on the greens. Playing lift, clean and place today; we were only able to hit 5 fairways and added two 3-putts on top of that. But he hung in there and was able to make two late birdies coupled with two nice par saving putts over the last four holes, finishing the day at two under par (69). He felt like his tempo and rhythm was off with the driver. It was only his second time ever seeing this course, so I think it will only get better as the week goes on and he gets comfortable with his sight lines, etc.

We tee off in the morning at 9:20 on number 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment