Sunday, July 29, 2012

Canadian Open - Final Round

It was the best ball striking day we had all week. Kevin hit it great right from the start and never let up. Playing with Vijay today was fun and we had the largest crowds all day. I just love watching Kevin in these situations as I can see his focus narrows and he steps up to the challenge.

After three nice pars to start the day, Kevin hit two great shots which lead to an easy two putt birdie on the par 5 4th hole. Then, with the tees moved up at the reachable par 4 5th, Kevin hit a perfect driver (308 yards) to 12 feet. Unable to make the eagle, we walked off with another easy two putt birdie. Things slowed a bit with a 3-putt bogey on the 7th, and we finished the front with two more pars. The putter was letting us down as we had 18 putts through 9 holes, but we were still under par for the day with nine to play.

The back nine was much like the front, hitting greens and two putting for par. With the exception of two great up and downs on the 13th and 17th holes, we couldn't make a putt. Standing on the 18th tee, two under for the day, we stuck to our game plan and hit a cut 3 wood off the tee. Unfortunately today, it traveled too far and went through the fairway into the creek that crosses the fairway. It was a tough pill to swallow because Kevin hit the exact shot we wanted. We had a game plan to hit the 3 wood all week because the 5 wood would leave us with over 200 yards, plus the up hill, to a severe green that slopes from back to front. It's always tough as a caddy when your player hits the perfect shot that you asked him to hit and it finishes in trouble. The bogey on the last cost us 10th place alone to a tie for 10th. It's just never easy.

After the round, I came across the border to Buffalo and will fly out tomorrow morning. My flights take me through Philadelphia, Phoenix, and then Reno. Kevin and Brittany flew out of Canada tonight heading to Reno. Kevin will have a much needed day off tomorrow with Brittany before we get back at it on Tuesday. I want to thank my good friends Jeff and Mel Faria for taking care of me this week. It's always great to come back to Canada where I have so many great memories from all my years playing up here. I ran into a lot of old friends and it was great to catch up with everyone. I just love it up here!!

No comments:

Post a Comment